Letter of Invitation
The CIE, which celebrates its centenary in 2013, is the oldest and most respected International Lighting Organisation with a broad remit covering all the various aspects of light and lighting. It is totally committed to the development of energy efficient lighting technologies and standards but without sacrificing the safety and security of human well-being, the environment and the economy. This objective can be achieved through the intelligent use of new technologies and a scientific understanding of the varied human needs for different types of lighting in different settings.
- A more efficient use of daylight augmented with the use of more efficient lamps and the latest lighting technology now enable us to save energy without sacrificing quality of lighting.
- Findings in medical science reveal that light plays important roles in maintaining optimum regulation of biological rhythms and hormones on a daily basis. While this knowledge can be used to positive effect, it also shows us that ill-conceived lighting can be detrimental to health and safety.
- Both the photometric and electrical properties of energy efficient lamps need to be assessed and quality assured to ensure widespread acceptance by users.
- Darkness has many benefits: electronic control systems enable us to adapt light levels and timing of artificial lighting to direct need, and thus minimize energy consumption.
Good lighting brings safety, security and a better quality of life to all but needs to be supplied in a task-dependent manner, that is of a quantity and quality appropriate to the task, and with the minimal use of resources.
CIE 2012 will therefore highlight topics in
- Right Lighting and Energy Efficiency
- Lighting Systems and Energy Saving
- Measurements and Photometry
- Light and the Visual Perception of Quality
- Photobiological Effects
As President of the CIE, and as Conference President, we are proud to present CIE 2012 “Lighting Quality & Energy Efficiency”, organized in cooperation with the CIES, the Chinese Illumination Engineering Society,as a unique forum for discovering the latest developments and results from the lighting world. I invite you to join us in the effort to enhance lighting quality and reduce energy consumption worldwide.
We look forward to a colourful week in Hangzhou.